This super versatile apple chutney can be used in so many ways. For example, it is wonderful as a tasty sandwich spread or as a decadent glaze for roasted chicken or pork. It can also be served with an assortment of different cheese varieties, cured meats, and gluten-free crackers or crostini for a delicious appetizer.
The garlic chili sauce used in this recipe is available in most grocery stores or online. It is spicy, so start with a small amount and add more to reach the desired level of heat.
Garlic chili sauce: https://amzn.to/36cBBAw(replace with your own affiliate link)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Sauté time: 5-7 minutes
Active cook time: 3 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 5 minutes
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
½ medium red onion, chopped
1 T. fresh ginger, finely minced
1 t. ground cinnamon
½ t. ground cloves
½ t. whole cumin seeds
¼ t. salt
¼ c. apple cider vinegar
1/3 c. honey
1 t. sugar-free garlic chili sauce
4 large apples, cored and peeled
1 large orange, peeled and chopped, with juice
1 T. orange zest, preferably organic
- Select the “Sauté” function and adjust to highest setting. Add olive oil. Once hot, add the red onion, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cumin seed, and salt. Stir to combine and sauté, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and translucent, and the spices are fragrant, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in the cider vinegar and deglaze the pot by gently scraping the bottom with a spatula to loosen any browned bits. Add the honey, garlic chili sauce, apples, orange, and orange zest. Stir to combine and turn the unit off.
- Cover and lock the lid into place. Flip the pressure valve to “Sealing” and select the “Manual” setting on high for 3 minutes.
- When the cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 5 minutes. Then do a quick release for any remaining pressure. Once the pin drops and no more steam escapes, carefully remove the lid and set aside.
- Select the “Sauté” function and bring the mixture to a gentle boil. Heat, while stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, and the excess liquid is reduced, approximately 1-2 minutes.
Turn the unit off and either use immediately or store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to one week. Enjoy!